Friday, September 10, 2010

On changing the world... today...

So far, when I've believed I could change the world ... the WORLD... I quickly would turn to more accessible options!

I am fearful that I am not enough and that my vision isn't fully formed. Then I remember that my vision can become clearer precisely by doing what I fear: writing about it, learning by putting it out there and by becoming part of something bigger - a community of people who are also stepping forward.

So when today I read THREE blog posts (by Gianpaolo Pietri, Chris Guillebeau and Everett Bogue), I suddenly could no longer ignore that the time for me to step up had arrived... and that I could no longer ignore it.

I believe in a world that is kind and compassionate (towards myself, others and the world we live in), a world that is fair for all, a world that is abundant and a world where creativity and beauty can trump destruction. And over the past few years, I have spent more and more time and energy living in ways that create this world.

I believe in bicycles more than in cars... so I commute by bicycle for most of the year (I live in Canada where - so far - I have not yet cycled during the winter) and this encourages others to do the same.

I believe in sustainable food sources and in demonstrating compassion in my spending so I have greatly reduced (to almost nothing) animal product consumption and shop primarily at second-hand stores for clothing and accessories for myself and my family.

I believe that frugality brings choices and freedom and so live a lifestyle that supports this kind of freedom

and

I believe in beauty and joy. I believe that when we live a life that is simple and compassionate and filled with beauty, we demontrate that this is not a life of sacrifice but a life that others would want to emulate. And so I create beauty where I can, and as an artist and creative enthusiast I demonstrate that beauty doesn't have to come from a big-box store but can come from nature, from yourself or from an artist - and that something unique and beautiful, with a story, can bring joy beyond endless purchases driven by someone else telling us what we want.

Finally and above all, I believe in others - I believe that everyone has a deep well of potential inside that hasn't been tapped fully no matter how successful we are. This drives me to encourage people to recognize this within themselves and not sell themselves (or those around them) short.

In the words of Marianne Williamson
We ask ourselves, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you NOT to be?

When I can encourage someone (even myself) to remember, even for a moment, that we are infinitely brilliant, gorgeous, talented, and fabulous, I am changing the world ...

No comments:

Post a Comment