Thursday, September 29, 2011

why can't mid-size be sexy too?

Large mansions are sexy to some (yup - I love looking at all those decorating magazines in the check-out at the grocery store) - and we know people who have just built a lovely large home!

Tiny homes are sexy to others (or sometimes even to the same people if I'm anyone to go by) - I spend hours online looking at beautiful small/tiny homes.

Skinny people invite commentary as do fat ones.

Minimalists and collectors.

Work-aholics and those who want to work not at all.

So what do I do when I'm a "mid-sized" person, living in a mid-sized house, working on a mid-sized life...? Perhaps we need to glamorize this mid-size/right-size life for a change...

I have no interest (at least not at this time - although I find it incredibly inspiring) to live with only 100 things, I have no interest (at least not right now, although I'm tempted) to live in an Airstream trailer or a tumbleweed home... I LOVE having art supplies handy (although I do have too many and am working to keep only those I use), I LOVE having a garden with fruit trees and vegetables growing, a home with room to have friends over and chairs for them to sit on... and I wonder, just wonder about whether or not this mid-sized life, this RIGHT-size life can be made to be sexy too? I mean, I want to have a sexy life (LOL), I want to be inspired and inspiring... so...

I want to reduce clutter and stuff and chaos in my life... and live with things that enhance my enjoyment of my everyday

I want to live happily in a mid-century, mid-sized (ok, some might even call it small by today's standards) home... with room for myself, my family, our pets and our friends

I want to live simply and focus on what matters to me...

maybe I just want to know that it can look this way for me...

with not too much

and not too little...

not 100 things but not a million either...

not so much clutter that I can't find my mind...

but not so much pressure to make it look like others'

Debt free - yup that feels good
A house small enough so we can keep track of each other and big enough so there's room for us and our friends - yup, that's right for me too
Eating and living simply feels good
Working less and living more feels good
Hmmm...

Clearing the clutter to right-size... it just feels good!
So I will continue to fill bags of items to donate or sell...
I will continue to question purchases and reduce the number of things I let into the house...
I will make sure that the images that I linger on are those that inspire me to live the life I image would make me happiest... (thank goodness for all those lovely pictures of homes posted by inspired and inspiring people ...
And I will continue to look at creating a space that works for me and those I love most... not too big, not to small... just right.

No comments:

Post a Comment